TEXTHELP Read and Write Gold
Do any of these sound like you?
- I understand my textbooks better when I listen to them than when I read them.
- I spend a lot of time traveling on the road and would like to read or get schoolwork done, but I get carsick.
- I like reading books, but my eyes get too tired to focus on the words after a while.
TEXTHELP is a company that makes different programs to assist people with learning differences. Read and Write Gold is one of their programs which offers several ways to interact with text on a computer. This program is especially useful to individuals that have difficulty in reading and interpreting text. It’s loaded with features, but the most commonly mentioned is its text-to-speech. One thing that college students do, and do often, is READ. If it’s helpful to have your reading materials read aloud, this might be a good resource for you.
Once Read and Write Gold is opened, a toolbar will appear on the screen. This toolbar has several features that help you read and interact with the text. For now, let’s just look at some of the text-to-speech features. You simply highlight the text you wish to have read and the program will read it aloud. Read and Write Gold will work on PDF documents, Adobe Reader, websites, or any other text found on a computer. You can choose for it to read to you by word, sentence, or paragraph. Also, you can skip forward, backward, or pause the recording at any time. If you want it read faster or slower, simply adjust the speed settings. It even has a translation feature on the toolbar that will translate text to different languages, such as Spanish, French, German, and Italian. I’ve never used it in a foreign language class myself, but it might be helpful in reading an assignment or when writing a paper.
Read and Write Gold also offers several other features. If you want to learn more about them, there are many videos on youtube. I took some time to look through a few of them, and these are the ones I found most helpful:
- To learn how to use the main text-to-speech portion of Read and Write Gold, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvQ27pQlmUA&list=UUZAh-YwqmDNE3ii6mHLR2Cg&index=57.
- If you want to learn more about the translating feature, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usth006xtxY&list=UUZAh-YwqmDNE3ii6mHLR2Cg&index=46.
- If you are interested in downloading TEXTHELP’s Read and Write Gold program you can do so at this link: http://www.boundlessat.com/Read-Write-Gold-for-Windows.
Reading and Writing Gold is available for both PC and Mac users, so it doesn’t matter what type of computer you have. And although it is an expensive program, some universities have purchased a site-license so that students can access the programs features without charge. There are also many other text-to-speech programs that are available to download which aren’t as expensive.
TEXTHELP1. “Read&Write 10 GOLD Speech Feature.flv.” Youtube.com. N.p., 18 Feb. 2011. Web. 5 Dec. 2012.
TEXTHELP1. “Read&Write 10 GOLD Translator Feature.flv.” Youtube.com. N.p., 21 Feb. 2011. Web. 5 Dec. 2012.
Read & Write Gold for Windows. Boundless Assistive Technology.com. 2012. Web. 5 Dec. 2012.